What a shame – never knew barley drink is so easy to prepare. I bought a packet of barley and I remember asking my colleague how to do it but no action and the packet of barley was left to expire in the fridge! :(
To my surprise, this home-cooked barley drink taste so much better than those sold at coffee shops who claimed it‘s home cooked barley! Its so easy and yet I have to ‘copy’ someone’s recipe. Wiffy, if you are reading this, I would like to thank you for sharing this great lemon barley drink – really, I have not tried such refreshing, satisfying lemon barley drink!!
What's your preference? Chilled or warm?Recipe source: Noobcook
- 2.5 litres water
- 200 grams raw barley rinsed until water is clear; if eating the barley, use pearl barley or holland barley
- 100 grams winter melon sugar to taste
- 2 pandan leaves tied in a knot
- lemon juice and lemon slices
- Bring a pot with 2.5 litres of water to a boil. Add washed barley and pandan leaves to the pot. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until the water is slightly milky.
- Drain and discard the pandan leaves and barley (you can leave behind a small amount if you like to eat them).
- In the last 5 minutes of simmering, add winter melon sugar to taste. Note that the winter melon will not dissolve - you can eat the winter melon for the crunchy sweet taste or you may discard it.
- Drink warm or chilled. If making lemon barley, add a few drops of lemon juice and garnish with a slice of lemon.